Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Why I Stay

As my 30th anniversary as a ‘card-carrying’ preacher looms just beyond the horizon, two haunting questions keep replaying in my mind. Where did the years go? is the first one. All the old timers told me that I’d ask myself this question someday. I guess someday finally got here, but it didn’t take nearly as long as I thought it would. No sense wasting time talking to you about this question. You are either asking yourself the same question, or are wondering why people keep telling you that you one day will. If you are there, you already understand. If you aren’t, nothing I say will make much sense. So I guess I’ll move on to question number two.

Why do some preachers take their organizational affiliation so lightly? No, I don’t think that only those who join up with me are the only ones going to heaven, so let’s set that aside right up front. But for the life of me, I can’t understand how some use their affiliation like it was a poker chip in some high stakes stand-off. I’ve heard statements like, “If that passes, I’ll toss my card on the floor and walk out!” Not long ago I heard someone say, “This card is just that: a card. I can preach with it and I can preach without it. Makes no difference to me.”

Maybe I was born in the wrong era, but I thought you signed up with a specific denomination for a reason. When God called me to preach, He seemed mighty serious about it. So when I felt it was time to launch out, I took a serious look at all my options. I could go it alone and build my own church and fellowship group. I liked the idea of having the whole world gathered around my pulpit without me having to jump through all the organizational hoops or upsetting another pastor who thought I was getting on his turf. But the longer I pondered things, the more I realized that there was a better way. So here is why, after almost 30 years, I am still carrying a card and I can’t use it as a bargaining chip.

1. I choose this denomination because it best represents what I believe the New Testament church should be. Namely,believers committed both to the message the Apostles preached and to making disciples on every square inch of the Earth. I didn’t join because it’s a family tradition or because all my friends gather here. I didn’t sign up to become an organizational lackey hoping someday to inherit a position. I got on board because I sincerely believe that this machine, though slow and awkward it may be, is the best option available to reach the world with this message.

2. "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners;" (1 Timothy 1:15). Jesus did not come so that I might have a group of buddies to preach for and pal around with. He came to save sinners. Jesus did not come so that a congregation would form and pool their tithes to support me. He came to save sinners. Jesus did not come so that I would have conferences to attend to keep me stirred and anointed. He came to save sinners. Jesus did not come so that I could find some measure of fame as a preacher or orator. He came to save sinners.

If He came to save sinners and I say I am called to continue His work, how can I treat my organizational affiliation with casual indifference? Either we are aggressively trying to save sinners or we aren't. If we are, then everything else is secondary and we can work our differences out. If we aren't, then nothing else matters and we need to get with a group who is.

My choice to stay or leave will effect how successful I am at accomplishing what He has called me to do. How can I shrug my shoulders and say it's no big deal?

***More To Come***

©2007 Doug Ellingsworth

2 comments:

MotherT said...

Amen and Amen!!!

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed reading this particular blog for a long, long time now.