Monday, May 21, 2007

The Wonder Of Being Called

Luke 1:26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
Luke 1:27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
Luke 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
Luke 1:29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
Luke 1:30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.

Luke 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
Luke 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Luke 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
Luke 1:49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.


Mary was in awe of God's call. The cost of fulfilling that call was not an issue with her. It's as if none of that mattered. That God would even consider using her was amazing - and she rejoiced.

Are you still amazed that God would call you? Or have you become so busy and accomplished that walking with Him has become commonplace?

Are you so focused on your own things that you have never sensed the wonder of the call?

Have you gotten so busy seeking your own fortune that you have missed the wonder of His call?

Lord, may I never lose the excitement and wonder of being called.

The wonder is not that I am wise enough to recognize that serving God is the best way to live. The wonder is that He would welcome me in and open my understanding to His wisdom.

The wonder is not that I came fully equipped to lead, but that He took one the crowd would most likely ignore and changed him into a vessel that He wanted and desired.

The wonder is not I am good enough to meet God’s qualifications. The wonder is that He would choose me to equip.

The wonder is not that I was pure and clean and a perfect fit for His holiness. The wonder is that He took an unclean human and wrapped me in His own righteousness so that I might enter His presence.

Psalm 8:3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
Psalm 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Psalm 8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.


May I never become so successful...or in demand...or accomplished...or carnal...or mechanical...or busy...or satisfied - that I no longer stand in awe and sense the wonder of His call.

©2007 Doug Ellingsworth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! And it's about time.